Core not being updated anymore?

niallquinn

Core not being updated anymore?

Mensaje por niallquinn » 12 Dic 2018, 16:53

I notice Quest hasn't been on here since April, does anyone know where he is, and if he's still working on the c64 core?

Thanks!

CCRider

Re: Core not being updated anymore?

Mensaje por CCRider » 13 Dic 2018, 13:56

This is the biggest problem with all those FPGA projects (with the notable exception of the 1541 Ultimate II/+/64 series): there's a huge buzz in the beginning, then the devs get tired of it and move to "greener pastures", leaving those who bought it with semi-compatible, never-to-be-finished equipment. Sad, but basically true.

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 13 Dic 2018, 14:39

CCRider escribió:This is the biggest problem with all those FPGA projects (with the notable exception of the 1541 Ultimate II/+/64 series): there's a huge buzz in the beginning, then the devs get tired of it and move to "greener pastures", leaving those who bought it with semi-compatible, never-to-be-finished equipment. Sad, but basically true.
The creator of the core, Quest, has left from the retro scene. There is no "greener pastures". And without source code available for this core, no one can continue this core. The devs don't earn money with this and the ZX-Uno is mainly for ZX Spectrum. Cores like C64 are a bonus.

CCRider

Mensaje por CCRider » 13 Dic 2018, 15:53

antoniovillena escribió:
CCRider escribió:This is the biggest problem with all those FPGA projects (with the notable exception of the 1541 Ultimate II/+/64 series): there's a huge buzz in the beginning, then the devs get tired of it and move to "greener pastures", leaving those who bought it with semi-compatible, never-to-be-finished equipment. Sad, but basically true.
The creator of the core, Quest, has left from the retro scene. There is no "greener pastures". And without source code available for this core, no one can continue this core. The devs don't earn money with this and the ZX-Uno is mainly for ZX Spectrum. Cores like C64 are a bonus.
Well... even the ZX Spectrum core is way behind <eek!>emulators, as per some tests posted elsewhere.

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 13 Dic 2018, 16:10

CCRider escribió:
antoniovillena escribió:
Well... even the ZX Spectrum core is way behind <eek!>emulators, as per some tests posted elsewhere.
This is totally false. If you have something against this project, unless it is true and prove it with proof

CCRider

Mensaje por CCRider » 13 Dic 2018, 16:54

antoniovillena escribió:
CCRider escribió:
antoniovillena escribió:
This is totally false. If you have something against this project, unless it is true and prove it with proof
"Totally" false? I was talking about this.

And no, I don't have anything against this project. I just think it's a shame (on me) to have spent money on a ZX Go+ when, right after I did it, a wild ZX-DOS appears, and all efforts derive to it.

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 13 Dic 2018, 17:06

CCRider escribió: "Totally" false? I was talking about this.

And no, I don't have anything against this project. I just think it's a shame (on me) to have spent money on a ZX Go+ when, right after I did it, a wild ZX-DOS appears, and all efforts derive to it.
That's also wrong. ZXDOS is launched by me and only one core developper (neuro999) has released cores for it. I am also porting some cores from ZX-Uno to ZXDOS. But the ZX-Uno project is currently active. I sell ZX-Unos and people continues developping cores (latest one is the Oric).

niallquinn

Mensaje por niallquinn » 16 Dic 2018, 18:40

Thanks for the posts, I didn't mean to start an argument! :)

Bone

Re: RE: Re: Core not being updated anymore?

Mensaje por Bone » 18 Dic 2018, 20:45

CCRider escribió:
antoniovillena escribió:
Lo que me parece lamentable es que aún estemos así.
¿Como es que el core de Spectrum esta por detras de emuladores?
¿Pero que dices? ¿Pero de donde sacas semejante despropósito?
En lugar de quejarte de si los demás desarrollan o no Cores para un dispositivo que NADIE obliga a comprar, deberias de ponerte a desarrollar...que el lenguaje Verilog/VHDL esta al alcance de todos.

hikoki

Mensaje por hikoki » 19 Dic 2018, 00:21

niallquinn escribió:Thanks for the posts, I didn't mean to start an argument! :)
Yo may want to try Kyp's core. According to this post, it seems to pass the standard tests quite well
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/ ... 311#p14311

Responder