ZX-Next core para ZX-Uno

rcmolina

Re: ZX-Next core para ZX-Uno

Mensaje por rcmolina » 31 Oct 2016, 20:06

fbelavenuto escribió:Hi,

In the PS/2 keyboard:

F2 key toggle scandoubler (15/31 KHz)
F3 key toggle vertical frequency (50/60 Hz).

Try on any screen.
Solved!

scandoubler=0
50_60hz=1

Many thanks Favio!

Uto

Mensaje por Uto » 02 Nov 2016, 11:20

Hi Fabio,

Some questions about programming the Next core:

- Is there any way you can detect you are running a ZX-Next (TTBlue) from software?
- How do you activate turbo mode (7Mhz). Are there any plans to have a 14Mhz mode as in ZX-Uno official core?

Thanks!

Turrican

Mensaje por Turrican » 03 Nov 2016, 11:33

Uto escribió:Hi Fabio,

- Is there any way you can detect you are running a ZX-Next (TTBlue) from software?
- How do you activate turbo mode (7Mhz). Are there any plans to have a 14Mhz mode as in ZX-Uno official core?

Thanks!

To turbo mode you can press F8 key to enable/disable or OUT 9439,4 and OUT 9439,0.

fbelavenuto

Mensaje por fbelavenuto » 03 Nov 2016, 12:17

Hi,
Yes!
ZX Next will be use I/O ports specific for this. I do not intend to support 14MHz turbo, although it is possible. There are some interesting use for this?

Thanks!

Uto

Mensaje por Uto » 03 Nov 2016, 12:43

Yes!
Ehmmm.... err... how? :-)
I ask this question cause I'm working in an utility that may run in ZX-Uno, but due to it's features i think it can run on Next as well. In order to determine which hardware I'm running on I need to be able to detect ZX Next, otherwise it will just show a message saying hardware is not compatible.

ZX Next will be use I/O ports specific for this. I do not intend to support 14MHz turbo, although it is possible. There are some interesting use for this?
Well, any software willing to run code faster can make use of a turbo mode, In some cases it may be activated and deactivated by the software itself when needed so the player doesn't notice. For instance:

- Code that calculates next move on a Cheess game may have an answer faster if it activates turno mode before calculating next move, then back to normal mode.
- Code for an strategy game can activate turbo mode, calculate movementes, then back to normal mode.
- Code for a spreadsheet software (like Vu-Calc) can do the same.
- Code to generate a random maze, it can be activated, generate the maze, then back to normal mode to play.
- Some sprite painting routines may be slow, specially on high detail modes as Timex HighColor, using turbo mode to do it would improve it and make games run smoothly even with many sprites on the screen. Same goes for scroll.

For all those cases, 7Mhz is good, but 14Mhz would better.

fbelavenuto

Mensaje por fbelavenuto » 03 Nov 2016, 13:02

Sorry Uto!

Use the I/O ports:

243B - Set register #
253B - Set/read value

Registers:
(R) 00 => Machine ID
(R) 01 => Version (Nibble most significant = Major, Nibble less significant = Minor)

IDs:
1 = DE-1 (old)
2 = DE-2 (old)
3 = DE-2 (new)
4 = DE-1 (new)
5 = FBLabs
6 = VTrucco
7 = WXEDA
8 = Emulators
9 = ZXUNO
10 = ZX Spectrum Next

Thanks.
Uto escribió: Ehmmm.... err... how? :-)
I ask this question cause I'm working in an utility that may run in ZX-Uno, but due to it's features i think it can run on Next as well. In order to determine which hardware I'm running on I need to be able to detect ZX Next, otherwise it will just show a message saying hardware is not compatible.

Uto

Mensaje por Uto » 03 Nov 2016, 13:16

fbelavenuto escribió:Sorry Uto!

Use the I/O ports:

243B - Set register #
253B - Set/read value
Great, thanks for the info!

aowen

Mensaje por aowen » 24 Ene 2017, 01:11

fbelavenuto escribió:Sorry, I did not understand the last question.
aowen escribió:Couple of questions.
* Any update to the ROM to support any of the new hardware?
Sorry I only just noticed the reply. I wanted to know if you were planning on using the 1982 version of BASIC or a next generation BASIC.

Higgy
Contactar:

Mensaje por Higgy » 01 Feb 2017, 09:51

Does this core include Turbosound? - The final ZX Next will, but I don't think this core does.

Thanks

fbelavenuto

Mensaje por fbelavenuto » 01 Feb 2017, 11:07

The ROM is loaded from the SD Card, any ROM can be put into the card by the user.
aowen escribió:
fbelavenuto escribió:Sorry, I did not understand the last question.
aowen escribió:Couple of questions.
* Any update to the ROM to support any of the new hardware?
Sorry I only just noticed the reply. I wanted to know if you were planning on using the 1982 version of BASIC or a next generation BASIC.

Responder