Simple radastan animation

Software para o relacionado con el core ZX Spectrum / Software for or related to the ZX Spectrum core
Responder
nagydani

Simple radastan animation

Mensaje por nagydani » 21 Ago 2018, 00:46

Hi,

I have coded up a simple 29-frame animation in a mix of BASIC and assembly (works fine even on 3.5MHz) for showcasing the radastan mode.
It is a conversion of this video: https://depositphotos.com/69116629/stoc ... -runs.html
You are welcome to include it among the slideshow demos on the SD card distribution. In fact, I am considering developing a radastan remake of 3D Monster Maze, the classic ZX81 game, with animations and Wolfenstein 3D-style graphics. Would there be interest in such a game?
t-rex.tap
Requires 128K RAM, use one of those modes.
(45.15 KiB) Descargado 250 veces

chernandezba

Re: Simple radastan animation

Mensaje por chernandezba » 21 Ago 2018, 09:21

Nice!!! :)
I would have put another background colour, but it's nice ;)

How did you make it? The animation is very smooth

I would love that remake!!! :llamarada:
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux

CCRider

Mensaje por CCRider » 21 Ago 2018, 15:23

nagydani escribió:(...) In fact, I am considering developing a radastan remake of 3D Monster Maze, the classic ZX81 game, with animations and Wolfenstein 3D-style graphics. Would there be interest in such a game?
I sure would be interested!

nagydani

Mensaje por nagydani » 21 Ago 2018, 23:14

Regarding the "how":
The video was first split into frames, then I realized that it is looping every 29 frame (a weird number, for sure), then I picked a 16 color palette (by hand) and then scaled down each frame so that the Rex fit into 32x96 pixels and then found the closest matching color for each pixel from the palette using mean square error and weights 2, 4 and 1 for R, G and B, respectively.
Then I wrote a very simple but fast assembly routine moving the 32x96 pixel sprite into the video RAM so that it reads the source address from SEED system variable that is set by the RANDOMIZE instruction. Finally, I coded up the rest in BASIC. All it does is load the 29 frames into different parts of the RAM (using only uncontended banks, for extra speed) and then call the machine code to display the frames, with PAUSE 1 for frame synchronization.
That's all. Quick and dirty, I know, but I wanted something enjoyable ASAP.

Haplo

Mensaje por Haplo » 22 Ago 2018, 10:54

Looks nice!

:okidoki;

Responder