ZX-UNO with 512Kb? How to turn it ON?

Dudas, cuestiones, sugerencias y peticiones en general sobre el proyecto / Questions and requests about the project
antoniovillena

Re: ZX-UNO with 512Kb? How to turn it ON?

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 19 Jun 2016, 22:45

This implementation is for the core, not the firmware. So it's a task for McLeod. Now he's very busy, but I hope he can find a time slot to implement Pentagon 256kb

YERZMYEY
Contactar:

Mensaje por YERZMYEY » 20 Jun 2016, 11:10

Yes of course; it's understandable - if only he's got time. :)

mcleod_ideafix
Contactar:

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » 23 Jun 2016, 23:35

YERZMYEY escribió:OK then - so if You guys would be bored enough, You might consider making such an update in the firmware, hehehehehehe. :)
Updating the core to support a Pentagon 256 memory scheme is possible. Do you know of a software than I can use for testing the correctness of the implementation?
http://www.zxuno.com
ZX-Uno · Clon de ordenador ZX Spectrum basado en FPGA

YERZMYEY
Contactar:

Mensaje por YERZMYEY » 24 Jun 2016, 00:04

Hmmm.
Maybe this? http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/TS_Yerz.trd
(Some of my songs - require TurboSound).

It loads quite a long time, so You have to wait several times.

Usually I press "3" in the menu (although it doesn't matter too much, I imagine).

This is the player I mentioned. When the border is RED - it has too small of RAM. Then only one AY work (idiotic).
I have just tested it on the Scorpion 256 and border is black, so everything indicated it would work just fine with the 256Kb of RAM and Scorpion-like RAM setup. I think anyway.

I wasn't able test the TurboSound, 'cause there's no TS on this particular emulator.

But anyway - it might work.

I would be soooooooooooooooooo grateful if it would work, hahahha. :)

Good luck!!!!!!!!! :)

Best regardsssssssss,
Y

mcleod_ideafix
Contactar:

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » 24 Jun 2016, 00:45

I have just tested the software you provided to me. It seems to work on my ZX-UNO without enabling 256KB of RAM. I can navigate through the .m files you have in the TRD image and play them.
IMG_5768.JPG
There is a red border around the picture. Is that what you meant? How I can see that this will fail or hang because of lack of memory?

YERZMYEY
Contactar:

Mensaje por YERZMYEY » 25 Jun 2016, 22:45

Hmmmmmmmm.

I can only repeat my informations from 24 June:

"
This is the player I mentioned. When the border is RED - it has too small of RAM. Then only one AY work (idiotic).
I have just tested it on the Scorpion 256 and border is black, so everything indicated it would work just fine with the 256Kb of RAM and Scorpion-like RAM setup. I think anyway.
"

When You have 256Kb of RAM - the player works properly (which You can tell by seeing the BLACK border).

Kind regards,
Y

Black_Cat
Contactar:

Mensaje por Black_Cat » 29 Jun 2016, 23:29

antoniovillena escribió:I think a russian 256Kb can be implemented in ZX-Uno. The question is, what is more extended? Pentagon with 256Kb or Scorpion 256
The architecture of the Scorpion is not popular, this architecture has meaning only in conjunction with the old software. The Pentagon with 256k did not exist, only 512k. Memory expansion for D6 #7FFD is associated with a large number of software bugs and is not recommended for repetition. The best option when creating a new software is an expansion to 256k for D7 #7FFD. While CS#7FFD/ = A1+ A14/ + A15 + IORQGE + WR/

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 29 Jun 2016, 23:44

Black_Cat escribió: The architecture of the Scorpion is not popular, this architecture has meaning only in conjunction with the old software. The Pentagon with 256k did not exist, only 512k. Memory expansion for D6 #7FFD is associated with a large number of software bugs and is not recommended for repetition. The best option when creating a new software is an expansion to 256k for D7 #7FFD. While CS#7FFD/ = A1+ A14/ + A15 + IORQGE + WR/
Thank you for the info. Do you now any software for 512K Pentagon to test? The ZX-Uno has 512K of SRAM (RAM from external chip), so i think McLeod can use all the RAM but erasing the system ROMs. If the software needs system calls is possible perhaps to have a small area of ROM implemented in BRAM (the RAM into the FPGA).

mcleod_ideafix
Contactar:

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » 29 Jun 2016, 23:57

antoniovillena escribió:If the software needs system calls is possible perhaps to have a small area of ROM implemented in BRAM (the RAM into the FPGA).
Antonio, after the last modifications to the core to get 8KB of boot ROM, we ran out of BRAM resources :(

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 30 Jun 2016, 00:09

mcleod_ideafix escribió: Antonio, after the last modifications to the core to get 8KB of boot ROM, we ran out of BRAM resources :(
Yes. I thought in these 8K of ROM. We can't put all the 32K but only with the most important system calls will suffice for avoid crashing in the software.

Responder