Better VGA timing and localised keyboard layout for the ZX-Uno

Dudas, cuestiones, sugerencias y peticiones en general sobre el proyecto / Questions and requests about the project
mcleod_ideafix
Contactar:

Re: Better VGA timing and localised keyboard layout for the ZX-Uno

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » 03 Ene 2018, 22:03

Eratosthenes escribió:Is this VGA out or RGB (PAL)?Does EXP25-070917 fit to my Uno? - It's one of these <klick>...
It should. But, this is not the model we designed. I don't know if it has any kind of buffer for VGA signals. For the official model, Antonio Villena sells a VGA cable which has buffers to amplify RGB signals inside the VGA connector.

About keyboard localization, which keyboard configuration do you want? Keyboard map designing is one of those "long to explain" things I have yet to document (among reasons, because it is likely to change for the next Txx release so it takes less resources)
http://www.zxuno.com
ZX-Uno · Clon de ordenador ZX Spectrum basado en FPGA

desUBIKado

Mensaje por desUBIKado » 03 Ene 2018, 22:07

And about localise keyboards, look this post: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1166&p=16653&hilit=pzx#p16648

and download this file: download/file.php?id=1281

Eratosthenes

Mensaje por Eratosthenes » 03 Ene 2018, 22:19

Thanks for this!

(Sync on green shouldn't affect any display. RGB on supported devices looks so much better than any other display. (see screenshot below))
RGBbetterThanVGA.jpg
P.S.: at mcleod_ideafix - @sync on green: Of course I will test it... :D (as soon as possible)

(P^2.S.: The "screen-shot" was taken on a display where the ZX Next is used normally. Believe me. The RGB (==SCART) output looks much better than even HDMI. In real it looks so much better than the photo...)
Nine out of ten voices in my head say: "You're not mad!" - The tenth humming the melody of Pong <click> ...

Eratosthenes

Mensaje por Eratosthenes » 04 Ene 2018, 14:55

mcleod_ideafix escribió:
Eratosthenes escribió:Is this VGA out or RGB (PAL)?Does EXP25-070917 fit to my Uno? - It's one of these <klick>...
It should. But, this is not the model we designed. I don't know if it has any kind of buffer for VGA signals. For the official model, Antonio Villena sells a VGA cable which has buffers to amplify RGB signals inside the VGA connector.

About keyboard localization, which keyboard configuration do you want? Keyboard map designing is one of those "long to explain" things I have yet to document (among reasons, because it is likely to change for the next Txx release so it takes less resources)
I'm using a standard VGA cable which works fine aside from the issue with the phase.

Using RGB with a VGA to Scart cable the display doesn't sync the screen. I can fix this by adding a resistor from the sync signal to green. If done the screen is synced. The problem is that the resistor also pulls down the green level so that the picture has a lack of green. :(

@locale: A german (de_DE) keyboard layout would be nice... :D
Nine out of ten voices in my head say: "You're not mad!" - The tenth humming the melody of Pong <click> ...

mapache

Mensaje por mapache » 04 Ene 2018, 16:51

If I recall correctly, Next has been announced as Open Source, so it would be nice to ask them about the sources -- specially since they're using ZX-Uno code for their machine.

SevenFFF

Mensaje por SevenFFF » 04 Ene 2018, 17:19

Can you explain a little about sync-to-green please Eratosthenes? I don't know much about video and am always looking to learn more.

BTW my Uno is looking pixel perfect on a US VGA 1920x1080 monitor (HP 22cwa). H=35.3KHz, V=56Hz. Uno BIOS settings are VIdeo=VGA, Scanline=DIsabled, Frequency=59.5. Core T24-04022017.

I haven't got a power supply for my Next board, but i will let you know how it looks on the same monitor when it arrives.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
seven-fff.com/blog

hikoki

Mensaje por hikoki » 04 Ene 2018, 21:21

What about a VGA2HDMI adaptor ?
It was tested by one of the ZX-Uno developers here : viewtopic.php?f=25&t=326
You can find it on ebay for 6$ : https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-VGA-Male ... tkn=urgFT1

mcleod_ideafix
Contactar:

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » 04 Ene 2018, 22:37

mapache escribió:If I recall correctly, Next has been announced as Open Source, so it would be nice to ask them about the sources -- specially since they're using ZX-Uno code for their machine.
Well, that's not sure. Some people say they are using it, some say they used it for early protoypes, and some say they didn't use it all (which I doubth, as they did copied the specification about raster interrupts, only to change it for their own I/O ports, so breaking compatibility. Reminds me of the strategy used by Microsoft to take over the Internet business with Internet Explorer)... It's about two weeks that the code was being to be released, yet it needed to be cleaned up.

Eratosthenes

Mensaje por Eratosthenes » 05 Ene 2018, 21:52

Hi @SevenFFF,

when using RGB TV's especially the ones having a Scart plug the devices often need "sync on green".

This means that the sync signal is added to the green signal of the RGB out. I've got several old TV sets that need sync on green. In this case the H-Sync and V-Sync signal are added to green of the RGB signal.

This site explains what sync on green is about...

mcleod_ideafix
Contactar:

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » 05 Ene 2018, 23:54

Eratosthenes escribió:Hi @SevenFFF,

when using RGB TV's especially the ones having a Scart plug the devices often need "sync on green".
That's weird. All the TVs that I own and have a SCART connector accept a composite sync signal on a separate pin, and I never needed to put syncs on the green signal. In fact, I only needed sync-on-green to connect a Silicon Graphics Indigo system to a VGA monitor.

Responder